Thursday, April 21, 2016

All the stripes.

I am so many things this month.

Some days I love my strictly assigned wardrobe. It feels like I'm getting to experience the mythical "benefits" people who wore school uniforms always talked about growing up.

Then other days I sit on my bed and just gaze into my half-open closet. Daydreaming about wearing that denim shirt with the enthusiasm of a girl fantasizing about her wedding dress.

And somewhere in the middle are days that are just gray and confusing. When my mind is all over the place and my perceptions are challenged. When the things I thought to be true about myself are questioned. Days when I'm a carefree, uniform-wearing Jesus lover one moment, and then a panicked, frightened cardigan addict the next.

Let me tell ya. The clothing swings are real.

I wore the same dress to two separate events in one weekend. Trust me, it was inevitable. I was fine until I got home after outing #2 and the thought hit me: what if pictures get posted from both? What if people see them NEXT TO EACHOTHER? What if everyone scrolls through their newsfeed and smirks because of my obvious inability to come up with more than one cute outfit in 24 hours?

Then something occurred to me this past week: Literally, no one cares.

Ouch.

A tough pill to swallow, but so true. After three straight weeks of wearing the same two outfits to teach dance, kid you not, one of my students said to me, "Oh, I haven't even noticed!"

Uhh... what?? That one comment rocked my world and taught me more in 5 seconds than I think I've learned all month. It's funny how God uses the seemingly small, inconsequential daily happenings sometimes, to reveal the most paradigm-shifting truths in our lives. That's how He tends to work, though, catching us off guard in the unexpected.

I've come to realize that each day is a gamble in this whole "7" thing. There are no guarantees that I will wake up tomorrow thrilled about wearing the same striped tank top for the approximately 240284th time this month. But I guess overall I've learned to start caring a little less how my closet tells me I should feel, and a little more how God says I am secure in Him and Him alone.

It hasn't been perfect. But it sure has been something.

- Morgan

p.s. I feel like my face says everything about the love hate relationship I've developed with this favorite shirt of mine. 7 more days, friends. 7 more days.

5 comments:

  1. I loved this, Morgan (and you look fabulous in your striped shirt!). I recently did a clothing purge and it was really freeing. We need so much less than we think we do. Although I didn't go quite as far as you, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! (I was sure ready to be done wearing it for a while though, haha!) And you're right, we definitely don't need as much as we think we do. I'm trying to find a not so extreme balance now that month 2 is over

      Delete
  2. "Literally, no one cares." Indeed! I tell myself that if they do care then it says more about them then it does about me. :) I love that you are doing this and sharing about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! That's the conclusion I've come to as well. Glad you're following along! :)

      Delete
  3. Good job. You can do anything.

    ReplyDelete