Monday, March 21, 2016

Come Hungry.


Hi there. 
Our first month is almost at an end. I should've blogged a lot sooner, but I didn't. I kept waiting for some amazing insightful thing to hit me upside the head, but I just kept feeling hangry instead.

As I mentioned before, I like comfort food. But I didn't think I had a problem with food, or giving up food for a month. Of course, I was super wrong.

Instead of a great insight about my future path in life I've kept running into this problem I have with using food for comfort. I've labeled it a few ways this month like: I'm just hangry, I'm low on caffeine, if I had a cup of tea I wouldn't be crying so much. 


I've developed plenty of excuses: 'I'm tired of sweet potatoes, I just want ONE chocolate chip cookie, if I just had some coffee I could get through this day, if I could just eat a real meal I wouldn't be so mean' etc. 

The example from Jesus' life that I've been focused on this month was his time spent fasting in the desert. The longer I eat spinach for breakfast the more frustrated I become with his experience.

See, Jesus knew he was about to tempted and that this would be the beginning of his ministry here on earth, and that people would write it down and talk about it for thousands of years afterwards.

He still arrived hungry.

I know for a fact that when I am well fed, when I have my caffeine, when I'm not trying to find a new way to cook eggs, I am a more mentally and emotionally balanced person. If you have doubts, you haven't spent enough time with me lately.

So why would Jesus arrive hungry to something so difficult?

The longer I feel hangry the more I am forced to realize: when I can't rely on a venti vanilla soy latte for comfort, I am much better at placing my faith in my Heavenly Father, I pray more often, I do a better job of reaching for His promises, and I work harder to memorize His truth.

Perhaps Jesus knew this about the human body - that we can get so bogged down and distracted by the calories of this life.

Call out time - because I'm hangry and reckless and you chose to read this blog:

I am willing to bet another week of sweet potatoes that you were hoping this would be a lesson in gratitude. And more than likely your excuse all along had something to do with already being fairly grateful. Ha.

Jesus has more to teach us than gratitude friends. Stop settling for a kindergarten understanding of your own faith. Challenge yourself. Get freaking uncomfortable.

I don't have anything nice or warm or milky to tell you about what Jesus has for you when you get over yourself. So, again, I invite you on this journey of getting past the excess in your life. Stay tuned this week for more updates on April's challenge!


In the words of one of our eighth graders:


"I'm sorry, but I do not regret my actions"

Peace.


-Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment