Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Month 1: Check

Well that's a wrap, folks. 1 month down, 6 more to go.

Each is supposed to last for 28 days, but we actually ended March a little early because of Easter. As a joyous day intended to celebrate the resurrection of our Savior, it just didn't feel right remaining in a physical and spiritual state of fasting. So we ended on the 26th. Well, technically halfway through the 25th when Emily mentioned the homemade coffee creamer in her fridge.

It was all too fitting to enjoy that first glorious cup together. My mom made some ridiculous comment at the beginning of March that after so many days apart I might not like coffee as much. I'm happy to report she was 100% wrong.

I'm gonna be honest, though. Beyond the lack of caffeine, it was a pretty rough month. I had to haul this diet all the way to St. Louis for the weekend and make it work at a dance competition - in a hotel room nonetheless! Emily's husband will tell you that his wife has been just a little less agreeable than usual. And unfortunately not everyone has been supportive of this process - voicing criticism when it doesn't line up with what they believe "true fasting" to be.

These things and others were extremely frustrating. But God remained good and met us where we were, even amidst the mess of how utterly awful some days were.

The 3 biggest things I learned:

1. This journey is ours, not Jen Hatmaker's. I was reminded of this after sharing our blog in a writer's community on Facebook. One woman who previously completed "7" left a beacon of hope in my notifications when she said to remember that our journey doesn't have to look just like Jen's in order to be successful. It's all about the heart and intention behind each month's decisions. How freeing!

2. I expected to walk away from March with some neat, pretty, wrapped-up, Christian lesson learned about being grateful for what I have. What I didn't expect was the ugliness in my heart. The selfishness and entitlement I didn't realize was even there. Talk about shocking. Yet so, so good. I learned a lot about myself and a lot about the person who God wants me to be.

3. When you make room for Him, God is faithful to answer prayer. Emily and I both had a very specific prayer request this month that we were focusing on. And what do you know, the Lord revealed answers to both of us!

Overall, March was challenging, revealing, infuriating, and never ending at times. But oh so wonderful. We may still be a little nutty for doing this. But I'm convinced now more than ever that it's all worth it.

- Morgan

p.s. Check back in the next few days for an update from Emily about Month 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment