Sunday, March 6, 2016

Soup Success

So, truth time. It's been a rough start to 7. Sounds pretty pathetic after only 6 days, right?

Wrong. So wrong.

And it hasn't been rough for the reasons you're probably thinking. I actually don't hate the 7 foods that much yet. This first week for the most part has consisted of a bunch of adjusting - getting used to only having 7 different options in my kitchen, figuring out which combinations go best together, and accepting that I need to wash my pans by hand Every. Single. Night. Because I will most likely need them again the very next morning. Probably to cook some eggs. So many eggs.

But everything is still new enough that I'm not totally freaking out yet. I mean, I miss things like condiments, other fruits and vegetables, and my dear, dear almond milk. And you don't even want to know how many times a day I just look at my Keurig. And for about .2 seconds try to convince myself that it wouldn't be the end of the world if I just had one teensy little cup.

I haven't, though, thank you very much. Hang in there friend, just a few more weeks of separation.

No, what's been hard is that from night 1 I have been sick. Like, blow your nose 20 million times a day, headache, weak, achy all over sick. AND I got a canker sore in the back of my throat. (Yes, apparently that's a thing.) And the only way to get rid of it is to eat yogurt. So without even making it a full 24 hours into 7, I consulted Emily, made a Hyvee run, and then pumped as many probiotics down my throat as I possibly could. Hey, there's always tomorrow.

Thankfully the canker sore went away, but the being sick part just kept getting worse and worse. And it's been so frustrating because I feel like since I've been sick all week, my attitude towards this process hasn't even had a fair shot at being optimistic.

You know how it goes, you stub your toe or you spill something and all of a sudden every other thing in the room becomes the most despicable, loud, unnecessary annoyance to ever exist. It hasn't necessarily been that extreme, but I feel like I've been living in a general state of misery and discomfort the last five days. And it's only served to amplify the things about this journey that are challenging now or that scare me about the future.

I'm finally starting to feel a little better, and I'm hoping by the official end of week 1 tomorrow that I can go to bed and start week 2 healthier and with a better attitude. Because I'll admit, I'm starting to get just a little sick of the limited options I have, and the weird food combinations I've been forced to come up with. But each time those thoughts creep in and I start to get pouty and annoyed, I turn to prayer.

Because honestly, this is a small sacrifice compared to what some people on the globe live like every day of their lives. The amount of times this week I've heard people say "Oh, I could never do that" has been so frustrating. Because they could. We all could. So many in this world live on so much less. So I'm trying to stay focused on gratitude and being thankful for the blessings I have. Because they're too infinite to count. And 28 days without almond milk is nothing to get upset over.

Hang in there, friends. If you're participating in 7 and also had a rough start, know you're in good company. Feel free to comment and tell us how your first week is going!

- Morgan

p.s. I made soup today. I was nervous, but it turned out really good! Literally just chicken, kale, sweet potato, chicken stock, salt and pepper - who knew. Solid end to a pretty shaky week.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you've been sick, that's the pits!!! :( This is quite an amazing endeavor, wow!!! You're already doing an amazing job! How inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Tabitha!! It's been a long week but I'm still going strong!

      Delete
  2. You totally got this. You're only a week in and you're already becoming aware of new things. Imagine week.... 28! Ish. I can't wait to see what you discover by then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. Knowing God has something to teach me through this is what keeps me going. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete